Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bird Art

Another brief hiatus from the bathroom blogging to talk about some fun art that we made for my mom for Mother’s Day.

I got this idea from HGTV, but I actually didn’t see how they made it, just the end product. It was a whimsical little bird silhouette on a bright yellow canvas. They put the picture in a really modern room and it just looked so cool and funky. And since my mom loves birds, I knew it would be the perfect gift for her.

So we completely improvised on how to make these things – I bought canvas at Michael’s as well as some white acrylic paint. I decided that the little canary could use a buddy, so we bought 2 of everything. Then we went over to Home Depot to get spray paint. I thought about painting it with a brush by hand, but I really wanted a more even coverage without brush strokes showing. I settled on a canary yellow (how appropriate) and paired it with a complementary shade of pink. Once we had all of the materials, we went home and got started.



1) I covered the canvases both with the white acrylic paint to develop a good base and take away from the beige tint of the canvas.

2) I put on some cleaning gloves and held the birds in place while Matt proceeded to spray them from a distance of about 12-18 inches. I had to move my fingers around to make sure we got the full outline of the birds.



3) Peel off the paper birds and let it dry. That’s all folks! Easy, peasy gift that turned out so cute!



I did have to go back and fix that little owl’s eye since he was being less than cooperative in the painting process. We gave them to my mom on Sunday and she loved them. Now she just has to find a place in the house to show them off :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow these turned out REALLY cute! I totally forgot to ask about them!

    ReplyDelete