Thursday, May 5, 2011

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Originally, these were supposed to be BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. But yesterday afternoon when I went out to the freezer to grab the pork (hehe… that sounds dirty…), I remembered that we ate the last of it a few weeks ago. Since I had already been to the store once that day, I decided to improvise and just make BBQ chicken sandwiches.

I have developed a little love affair with my crock pot, and I love the days where I work from home or get home early so I can make things in it. It’s just so easy and requires very little maintenance during the cooking process. And you can make some pretty “fancy” stuff in there. I know that you can start a meal in the morning and let it go all day on low, but: 1) I don’t have that much mental capacity in the morning to be prepping a meal and 2) I have horrific, unjustified panic attacks thinking about the house burning down while I’m at work and Jordan being trapped in the flames. No thanks. Anywho…

Here is what I threw in there:

- 3 chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- ½ Bottle of Bill Johnson’s Original BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar

That’s it, then just set it on high to start cooking. About half way through, I cut the breasts in half to make sure they were cooking all the way through. 3 hours in, I shredded the chicken with two forks and lowered the heat setting. After hour 4, we piled some of the goodies onto a Kaiser roll and enjoyed! We served it with potato salad (homemade by Matt’s mom & oh so yummy) and some chips for color – ha!

If I were to do this recipe again (which I think I will), the only think I would change is maybe putting some beer into the mixture. Maybe only 1/3 cup or so, just enough to give a good flavor after it cooks out. The BBQ sauce and the brown sugar made it pretty sweet, so it would be nice to have a balance. Enjoy!





Glamour Shot up Close

1 comment:

  1. Aww, so cute...two identical meals with equivalent portions. :) And ya, you gotta grab that pork!

    ReplyDelete