Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Trying to Find an Analytic Solution

Pretty soon I will be traveling to California again for work. However this trip will be much longer than the previous ones. I could be gone for 3 weeks or more depending on how things go. My wonderful wife Pamela has committed to coming out to visit me during this trip. Even though there is not much in Lompoc and I'll probably be busy for most of the day, we decided 3 weeks is a long time to go without seeing each other. So now I am trying to figure out the optimum scenario for her to come out and visit.



















(The lines on the graph represent approximate $/Hr values that Pamela and I make. This helps to compare different scenarios that cost more versus those that are cheaper but take more time. For example $100 crosses at 3Hrs)

Note: All options are assuming one-way cost and travel time.
Option 1 represents Pamela packing up the car and driving out to see me. This is obviously the most time consuming of the options but also the cheapest. An added benefit to this option is that Pamela could bring Jordan with her.
Option 2
is the shortest option where Pamela flies into Santa Barbara via US Airways like I do when I travel out to California.
Option 3
is a compromise where Pamela would use her 'free' Southwest flight to get to LA. Notice how it is not 'free' because of the opportunity cost of using that flight to get to somewhere else.

On options 2 and 3 I've shown how they might increase in price if I cannot pick up Pamela at the airport and she has to use a rental car. I figure the rental car would add about $50 to each one-way trip.

I've also included the option of a private jet, which unfortunately would cost a couple thousand dollars each way. Then I've expanded on the option of Pamela driving out. If she paid one of her friends or family to do the driving for her it would cost much more but would allow her to rest and could decrease the perceived travel time.

Conclusions:
1) Pamela will most likely fly out to see me, because for a weekend visit I don't think anyone would want to spend as much time in the car traveling as actually being with the other.
2)
Pamela married a huge nerd who likes to make unnecessary charts.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, NERD! They need to find more work for you at Orbital or maybe I need to distract you online some more.

    ReplyDelete