Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Red Front Door

This had been on Pamela’s wish list for a while and after getting settled into the new house, this was one of the first updates we made.  Once Pamela told me she wanted the door painted red I started looking around and noticed that it is a pretty common design choice. Lots of houses in Scottsdale have red doors and it seems that a large percentage of houses on TV shows and commercials have red doors. Keep an eye out for them and you will notice them everywhere.

After
Before

I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it since this neighborhood has a HOA. Our Tucson house HOA is nuts and they have very strict guidelines on what colors you can and cannot paint your house. Luckily this HOA is much more laid back and obviously I was able to go ahead with it. Although, when I called the HOA to ask about painting the door the guy literally said “Go ahead and paint it as long as it’s not some crazy color like bright red.” It was a little awkward to follow that up with my choice of color, but he was nice and I assured him it would look alright. I guess the red door fad hasn’t really made its way to Chandler.  The color we went with is called Cut Ruby and I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of painting their door. It’s a nice shade of red without being too bright like a fire truck. It looks great with holiday wreaths!

Very Festive!

After finishing the painting I looked to see if there was an associated meaning behind having a red door. I probably should have looked this up first in case it was something embarrassing. It turns out that there are several possible meanings behind the red door, the most common among them is simply “welcome.”

[Bonus work-in-progress pictures]

Getting all set up
Rich red color
The first paint stroke
Putting the hardware back
Finished!

1 comment: