Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Resolution: Month 6 - Master Bedroom

This month’s project was the Master Bedroom.  Aside from the deep cleaning involved in these projects (curse you, horizontal blinds and baseboards...) we had a few fun things to do as well.  To start with, I wanted to refresh our bedding with new sheets and new pillows.  Since we spend so much time sleeping, might as well do it in comfort!  We ordered a grey chevron bedding sheet made out of microfiber on Amazon.com that got great reviews.  It is a cute pattern and a very light, thin fabric that is breathable and great for summer.  But the chevron fitted sheet with the chevron flat sheet on top was messing with our eyes and making us dizzy, so we bought a complementary plain white set at Bed Bath & Beyond to match up with it.

We also needed new ottomans for the foot of the bed since the ones we had were from our wedding and have since lost most of the cushioning in the top.  Turns out it is really tricky to find a nice ottoman for a reasonable price – even online.  We searched for a few weeks before I finally took a trip to the Kirkland’s Home store by our house.  I found a really cute ottoman stool with a design that wasn’t too flowery or girly, and Matt liked it too.  It looked grey-ish in the store, but when we got it home and put it by the grey bed sheets it became clear that it was actually more brown in color.  Good thing the walls and carpet are brown, so it doesn’t look crazy in the room.  I love the feel these give the area – like a chic hotel

Before
After


Another big project was finally getting around to hemming the curtains we bought when we moved into the house over two years ago.  I had pinned them up after hanging them, and then life got busy and I never got around to finishing the job.  So they were just hanging around with sewing pins sticking out, which became problematic when Ryan decided that the curtains were his favorite place to hide while playing.  I pulled out all of the pins to avoid an accident, but the extra foot and a half of fabric laying on the floor was posing a tripping hazard for the hiding baby now.  Thank goodness for my sweet mother in law, Carol!  She came over and helped me to cut, iron and sew up a new hem on the four panels (and by help, I mean she did all of the work while I assisted!)  Now they look so much cleaner and better – and they are much safer for play time.

Before
After


Matt installed new tamper-resistant outlets in the bedroom (as he has been doing for all of the rooms in the house as we go.)  Another great safety move, since Ryan also likes to pull out the plastic child-safe covers and play around with the outlets.  He organized the cables around the TV and the nightstands and helped me to hang some pictures too.

Another major part of this month’s project was cleaning out and organizing our drawers and my jewelry armoire.  I was able to purge about 2 full bags of jewelry, part of which I gave to my sister Liz.  She is busy cleaning out her own jewelry collection, but nobody can resist fun new jewelry when it’s being offered – fact!  We worked through our drawers and I talked Matt into using a rotational system for wearing things that will bring him further into my happy little OCD world   One huge trip to Goodwill later, and we are calling our Master good.  I love the new look and it is such a treat to fall asleep in this lovely little room every night.

Next on deck is the Master Bathroom, which includes the closet.  Wish us luck – we will need it!

1 comment: